Miles Talavera Kent was a five-year-old boy who passed away unexpectedly on March 10, 2011, in Tallahassee, Florida. His death shocked and saddened his family, friends, and community, who remembered him as a lively and adventurous child. In this article, we will explore the cause of death of Miles Talavera Kent and the impact of his loss on his loved ones.
What Happened to Miles Talavera Kent?
Miles Talavera Kent was born on May 10, 2006, in Walnut Creek, California, to Graydon and Tracee Kent. Tracee Talavera is a former Olympic gymnast who won a silver medal at the 1984 Los Angeles Games. Miles attended North Florida Christian School and was a student of Master Murphy’s Dragon System Institute of Martial Arts, where he became known to his friends and family as “Bruce Lee”.
Miles was energetic and thrived on his numerous weekend adventures, exploring all the natural wonders that Florida has to offer. His life experiences far surpassed his years. He loved animals, especially his dog, Bella, and his cat, Tiger. He also enjoyed playing video games, watching movies, and reading books.
On June 20, 2011, Miles was found unconscious in his living room by his father, Graydon. He was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
What is Kratom and How Did Miles Ingest It?
Kratom is a herbal extract that comes from the leaves of an evergreen tree native to Southeast Asia. It has been used for centuries as a traditional medicine and a stimulant by people in countries like Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. Kratom has an opioid-like effect on the brain, meaning it can relieve pain, induce euphoria, and suppress appetite. However, it can also cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, agitation, and seizures. In high doses, kratom can be fatal.
Kratom is not regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and is sold online and in stores as a dietary supplement, tea, or powder. Some people use kratom to self-treat pain, anxiety, depression, and opioid addiction or withdrawal.
It is not clear how Miles came into contact with kratom or how much he ingested. The company did not provide any warning labels or instructions on the product, and did not respond to the lawsuit filed by Miles’ family.
How Did Miles’ Family and Community React to His Death?
Miles’ death was a devastating blow to his family, who described him as a “beautiful soul” who “lit up every room he entered”. His mother, Tracee, said he was her “best friend” and her “reason for living”. His father, Graydon, said he was his “pride and joy” and his “little buddy”. His four siblings, Devin, Dylan, Delaney, and Daxton, said he was their “hero” and their “protector”. His grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and other relatives also expressed their grief and love for Miles.
Miles’ death also affected his school, his martial arts academy, and his community. His teachers and classmates remembered him as a smart, curious, and kind student who loved to learn and share his knowledge. His martial arts instructor and fellow students remembered him as a talented, disciplined, and respectful martial artist who had a passion for the sport. His neighbors and friends remembered him as a friendly, cheerful, and generous boy who always had a smile on his face.
Miles’ family and community honored his memory by holding a memorial service at North Florida Baptist Church on March 16, 2011. They also planted trees in his name, donated to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital and Multiple Sclerosis Society, and created a Facebook page to share photos and stories of Miles.
Miles Talavera Kent was a young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. He was loved and cherished by his family and community, who miss him dearly. His death was caused by a substance that is not well-understood or regulated by the authorities, and that poses a serious threat to public health and safety. His death serves as a reminder of the need for more research, education, and regulation of kratom and other herbal extracts that may have harmful or fatal consequences. Miles Talavera Kent’s cause of death was a tragic loss of a young life.