Mike Taylor, also known as the Beard Guy, was a member of the Canadian pop band Walk Off The Earth. He played piano, keyboards and organ and was known for his distinctive facial hair. He died in his sleep on December 29, 2018, at the age of 51. His bandmates announced that he died of natural causes, but what exactly does that mean? How did he become a viral sensation and what led to his sudden death?
The Rise of Walk Off The Earth
Walk Off The Earth was formed in 2006 by Sarah Blackwood, Gianni Luminati, Ryan Marshall, Joel Cassady and Mike Taylor. The band gained popularity through their YouTube videos, where they performed covers of popular songs using unconventional instruments and arrangements. Their most famous video was a cover of Gotye’s Somebody That I Used To Know, which featured the five musicians playing a single guitar. The band also performed original songs and released several albums and EPs. They won a Juno Award for Group of the Year in 2016 and were nominated for two more in 2019.
The Death of Mike Taylor
They did not specify the exact cause of his death, but they said that he had a love for life that was unmatched and a willingness to give that went beyond ordinary means. They also said that he adored his two children more than anything else in the world. His death came as a shock to his fans and fellow musicians, who expressed their condolences and tributes on social media. The band cancelled their scheduled performance at Niagara Falls on New Year’s Eve and said that they would continue to make music in his honour.
Natural causes is a term that is often used to describe a death that is not caused by external factors, such as accidents, violence, poisoning or disease. It usually implies that the death was due to the aging process or a chronic condition that was not diagnosed or treated. However, natural causes is not a medical term and does not appear on death certificates. Instead, the specific cause of death is determined by an autopsy, which is a post-mortem examination of the body and its organs. An autopsy can reveal the presence of any diseases, injuries, infections, toxins or abnormalities that may have contributed to or caused the death. An autopsy can also provide information about the person’s medical history, lifestyle and genetic factors that may have affected their health.
The autopsy report for Mike Taylor has not been made public, so it is not known what the exact cause of his death was. However, some possible causes of death that could be considered natural are:
- Heart attack: This occurs when the blood flow to the heart is blocked, usually by a clot or a plaque in the arteries. This deprives the heart of oxygen and damages the heart muscle. A heart attack can cause chest pain, shortness of breath, nausea, sweating and fainting. A heart attack can be fatal if not treated quickly.
- Stroke: This occurs when the blood flow to the brain is interrupted, usually by a clot or a bleed in the blood vessels. This deprives the brain of oxygen and damages the brain cells. A stroke can cause weakness, numbness, slurred speech, vision problems, confusion and loss of consciousness. A stroke can be fatal if not treated quickly.
- Aneurysm: This occurs when a weak spot in a blood vessel bulges and bursts, causing bleeding in the brain or elsewhere in the body. This can cause severe pain, swelling, bruising and shock. An aneurysm can be fatal if not treated quickly.
- Pulmonary embolism: This occurs when a blood clot travels from the legs or other parts of the body to the lungs, blocking the blood flow to the lungs. This can cause chest pain, shortness of breath, coughing, sweating and fainting. A pulmonary embolism can be fatal if not treated quickly.
- Sleep apnea: This is a condition where the breathing stops and starts repeatedly during sleep, causing low oxygen levels and high carbon dioxide levels in the blood. This can cause snoring, gasping, choking, headaches, fatigue and mood changes. Sleep apnea can increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and other health problems.
- Diabetes: This is a condition where the body does not produce enough insulin or does not use it properly, causing high blood sugar levels. This can cause thirst, hunger, frequent urination, weight loss, blurred vision, infections and nerve damage. Diabetes can increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and amputation.
- Obesity: This is a condition where the body has excess fat, causing a high body mass index (BMI). This can cause difficulty breathing, joint pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and sleep apnea. Obesity can increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer and other health problems.
These are just some of the possible causes of death that could be considered natural, but there are many others. The only way to know for sure what caused Mike Taylor’s death is to wait for the official autopsy report, which may or may not be released to the public. Until then, we can only speculate and mourn the loss of a talented musician and a beloved father, friend and bandmate.