Who was Lisa de Kooning?
Lisa de Kooning was an artist, philanthropist, and the only child of the famous abstract expressionist painter Willem de Kooning. She was born in New York City in 1956 and grew up in Manhattan and the Springs, where her father had his studio. She was a sculptor who exhibited her work only once, in 2010, at the Tripoli Gallery of Contemporary Art in Southampton. She was also a generous supporter of various causes, including art, children, animals, and the environment. She donated to local organizations in the Hamptons, such as the East Hampton Day Care Learning Center, the Springs Fire Department, LongHouse Reserve, and Robert Wilson’s Byrd Hoffman Water Mill Foundation. She also contributed to the Virgin Islands National Park and to Team River Runner’s Wounded Veterans USVI program, after establishing a home in St. John.
How did Lisa de Kooning die?
Lisa de Kooning died on November 23, 2012, at the age of 56, at her home on St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands. The cause of her death is still unknown, as the police investigation and the autopsy report have not been made public. According to the St Thomas Source, a local newspaper, the police were called to de Kooning’s estate at about 2:30 a.m. after another person in the house discovered her unresponsive. The male witness told the police that he escorted de Kooning from her living room to her bedroom after she had finished drinking some wine. She instructed him to lock her home office, so he left her in the bedroom. While locking the office, he heard a loud noise like someone collapsing and found her lying on the floor outside of her bedroom. He tried to communicate with her, but she was unresponsive. He picked her up, placed her on her bed, and called 911. Emergency medical technicians said she had no vital signs at the scene. They removed her from the home. The case remains under active investigation.
What are the possible explanations for Lisa de Kooning’s death?
There are many speculations and rumors about what could have caused Lisa de Kooning’s death, but none of them have been confirmed or denied by the authorities. Some of the possible explanations are:
- She died of natural causes, such as a heart attack, a stroke, or an aneurysm.
- She died of accidental causes, such as a fall, a head injury, or a drug overdose.
- She died of homicidal causes, such as a murder, a robbery, or a domestic violence incident.
- She died of suicidal causes, such as a depression, a mental illness, or a personal crisis.
Why is Lisa de Kooning’s death still a mystery?
Lisa de Kooning’s death is still a mystery because the police and the medical examiner have not released any official information about the case. The reasons for this lack of transparency are unclear, but some of the possible factors are:
- The police and the medical examiner are still conducting their investigations and collecting evidence.
- The police and the medical examiner are facing some difficulties or challenges in their investigations, such as a lack of cooperation, a lack of resources, or a lack of jurisdiction.
- The police and the medical examiner are respecting the privacy and the wishes of the de Kooning family, who may not want the details of the case to be publicized.
- The police and the medical examiner are under some pressure or influence from the de Kooning family, who may have some power or connections in the Virgin Islands.
What is the impact of Lisa de Kooning’s death?
Lisa de Kooning’s death has left a void in the art world and the communities she was involved in. She was a beloved daughter, mother, friend, and benefactor, who dedicated much of her life to preserving her father’s legacy and supporting various causes. She is survived by her three children, Isabel, Emma, and Lucy de Kooning Villeneuve, who are the heirs of her father’s estate and foundation. Her death has also raised questions and concerns about the safety and the justice system in the Virgin Islands, where crime rates are high and law enforcement is weak. Her death has also sparked curiosity and interest in her life and work, which were often overshadowed by her father’s fame and fortune.
Lisa de Kooning cause of death is a mystery that remains unsolved, despite the passage of more than eight years since she passed away. Her death has left behind a trail of clues, speculations, and mysteries, that may or may not be resolved in the future. Her death has also left behind a legacy of art, philanthropy, and love, that will not be forgotten by those who knew her and admired her.