Who was Damian Casey?
Damian Casey was a renowned hurler from Tyrone, Northern Ireland. He played for the Eoghan Ruadh club in Dungannon and the Tyrone senior hurling team. He was widely regarded as one of the best hurlers in the county, if not the country. He had a remarkable career, scoring more than 1,000 points in league and championship games. He also won several trophies and awards, including the Nicky Rackard Cup and the Lory Meagher Cup. He was a leader and a gentleman, both on and off the field.
How did Damian Casey die?
Damian Casey died in a tragic accident in Spain on Friday, June 18, 2022. He was attending a wedding and had an accident at a swimming pool. The details of the incident are not clear, but it is believed that he drowned or suffered a fatal injury. He was 29 years old.
How did the GAA community react to Damian Casey’s death?
The news of Damian Casey’s death shocked and saddened the GAA community, both in Tyrone and across Ireland. Many tributes poured in from his teammates, opponents, fans, and friends. They praised his skill, talent, passion, and personality. They expressed their condolences to his family, especially his parents Sean and Susan, and his sisters Louise and Catherine.
Some of the tributes are as follows:
- Tyrone GAA said they were “totally shaken” by the news, describing Mr Casey as “a supreme hurler… at the peak of his powers”. Tyrone county chair Michael Kerr said he brought “honour, delight and gladness to the whole county and far beyond”.
- Tyrone hurling manager Michael McShane said the team was “rocked to our very core”. He said Mr Casey was a true gentleman and one of the finest players he had managed.
- Ulster University Gaelic Academy said they were “profoundly saddened” to learn of the death of Mr Casey, who was a graduate and a Fitzgibbon hurler. They said he was “a magician of rare skill” on the pitch.
- The Gaelic Players Association said players across Ireland were devastated for Mr Casey’s family and friends, and for all in Eoghan Ruadh and Tyrone GAA. They said Mr Casey stood out as a leader and a person.
- Sinn Féin MP Michelle Gildernew said the community in Dungannon was heartbroken by the news. She said Mr Casey was “possibly the best hurler ever in Tyrone”.
What is the legacy of Damian Casey?
Damian Casey will be remembered as a legend of Tyrone hurling, and a hero of the GAA. He inspired many young players and fans with his dedication, enthusiasm, and excellence. He left a mark on the history and culture of the sport, and the people who loved it. He will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.